This is a great dinner party dish with an wonderfully flavoured sauce. If you don’t have medlar jelly use crab apple or redcurrant jelly instead.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 kg/4lb leg of hogget
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 75cl dry white wine
- 600ml/1 pint chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp medlar, crab apple or redcurrant jelly
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/325˚F/Gas 3
- Pour the oil into a large, sturdy roasting tin and set it over the hob.
- Season the hogget then roll it in the flour. Brown the hogget all over in the hot oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, turning the lamb and stirring the onions until both are nicely browned.
- Add the garlic, white wine, stock, oregano and redcurrant jelly, bring to a simmer and cook the hogget in the oven for 3-3½ hours, basting now and again with the liquor. There should be a good quantity of wine left in the bottom of the tin to serve with the lamb but if you feel it is getting too dry, just cover with foil.
- Take the hogget out of the tin and place on a large board to rest in a warm place. While the hogget is resting, sit the tin back on the hob and simmer the pan juices for a few minutes, reducing the liquid, if there is a lot, to make a tasty gravy.
- Cut the hogget into thick slices – you’ll find the meat falls away from the bone so you may end up with more chunks than slices.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and the wine gravy…. and lots of crispy vegetables.
Follow Weobley Ash